Are you passionate about disability justice? Do you love the arts? Do you love talking to people about the things that matter to you? Do you want to learn more about intersecting social justice issues and gain work experience with a local nonprofit organization? Apply for a Community Outreach/Orgnanizer Internship with Disability Art and Culture Project (DACP) and hone your community outreach and communication skills!
This four-month, part-time position offers a small stipend ($400 total, $100/month) and a wealth of networking and learning opportunities, as well as help writing or updating your resume. Students, we are willing to work with you so you can get academic credit.
To apply, please e-mail email@example.com with your resume, contact information, two references, and a cover letter that addresses how you will fulfill the requirements by Friday, June 28, 2013. If you do not have a resume, please tell us about your past experience communicating with people you do not know, and your experience with the disability or arts community, if you have any. If you need accommodations to communicate your interest in and qualifications for the position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see below for the applicant requirements, and the job duties and expectations.
We encourage people with disabilities, people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and immigrants and refugees to apply.
- Have an email address or be willing to get one, and check it every other weekday.
- Have a regular, reliable way to be contacted.
- Have an interest in diverse disability cultures & communities.
- Be comfortable communicating with and meeting people that you don’t know.
- Be comfortable working with people from diverse communities (including but not limited to racially & ethnically diverse communities, LGBT, & diverse disability communities).
- Be punctual and responsible.
- Be able to commit to completing the entire internship (mid July-mid November).
Duties and expectations:
- Attend at least one reading group (in person or online)
- Attend at least one listening session
- Attend at least 1 community-based social justice training or educational event every month & report back to the training group
- Attend monthly DACP organizer/outreach meetings
- Talk about DACP at a minimum of 2 community events per month
- Contact at least 4 local organizations via email & phone per month; Hold a 1:1 meeting with at least 1 person per month
- Contact at least 5 statewide/out-of-tricounty (Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington) -area organizations per month
- Recruit at least 5 participants to a listening session
- Recruit at least 10 people to participate in the monthly reading group or October Ann Fox lecture
- Distribute flyers and posters for events
- At least half of the outreach you do should be in communities of color.
Interns will be given a contract to sign, to commit to completing the full internship. Payment will occur at the end of each month of work and is contingent upon the intern completing and reporting the completion of all internship expectations. Interns will not be paid for months where they do not complete the internship requirements.